ILLUSTRATING BEETLES IN WATERCOLOUR, 22 February 2020 - Beginners - Intermediate
Learn how to draw and paint an irridescent beetle in watercolour!
About the tutor:
Canberra-based artist, Katie Asplin, has developed a passion for watercolour over the past two years. Katie has been attending workshops and classes with various tutors during that time, enjoying not only the detailed practice of painting botanicals, insects and birds but also the more fluid techniques used for contemporary art and landscapes.
Katie holds a PhD in equine endocrinology and has experience teaching both undergraduate and post-graduate students in biomechanics, anatomy and physiology and research techniques, such molecular biology. Katie has a passion for science communication and sees art as an exciting medium for improving our understanding of science and the natural world.
About the workshop:
This one-day workshop will guide you through the process of drawing and completing a watercolour illustration of a beetle. The workshop will cover basic colour theory, watercolour techniques and equipment choice. Katie will demonstrate how she paints insects in a simple step-by-step format. Participants will use those skills and, with a simple colour palette, create an illustration of a beetle from a pinned specimen, using microscopes to view clearly the fine detail in these beautiful insects.
Participants will also learn about beetle anatomy and lifecycle and will have access to a selection of pinned specimens from the Australian National Insect Collection.
- This workshop provides an introduction to insect illustration using watercolour, with beetles as the subject matter.
- Learn basic drawing and watercolour techniques, such as washes, wet-on-wet and dry-brushing.
- Learn how to accurately illustrate a beetle using pinned specimens, which can be viewed through microscope, measurements, photographs and reference books.
- Topics include insect structure, anatomy, different surfaces and effects including light/shadow, shine, iridescence and hairs.
- Knowledge of basic materials and equipment used in watercolour illustration.
- By the end of the workshop, students will have learned the techniques required to complete a finished study of a beetle.
Suitable for all skill levels. Refreshments included for morning and afternoon tea. A materials list will be available prior to the workshop.
Date/Time: Saturday 22 February, 9:30am - 4:30pm
Venue: NatureArt Lab, M16 Artspace, 21 Blaxland Crescent, Griffith, ACT