23 March 2024 LARGER THAN LIFE BOTANICALS IN COLLAGE - with Lesley Wallington
Create a beautiful collage painting with paper and gouache for impressive results with award-winning artist Lesley Wallington!
- Dates/Times: 23 March 2024
- Day: Saturday 9.30-4.30pm
- Venue: NatureArt Lab Studio, M16 Artspace, 21 Blaxland Crescent, Griffith, ACT
About the course:
Collage is the reassembling of materials into a creative new entity. This workshop is about creating artworks with combinations of paper collage and gouache to produce both subtle harmonious paintings and works of strong impact. Our subjects will be large botanicals featuring flowers, buds, leaves and plants and we will complete a large canvas by the end of the day. We will learn about collage materials and mediums and how to layer paper to create a collage ground ready for painting with gouache, a water-based medium that produces strong colours in a smooth, matt finish. Students will learn basic gouache painting techniques and be guided step by step through all processes. With information and practical guidance in drawing, colour mixing and colour schemes this course is suitable for all levels of experience.
- Students will gain an understanding of the history of collage as well as materials and mediums used in the creation of a collage and gouache artwork.
- Learn technical skills applying layers of paper to make a variety of collages surfaces.
- Gain an awareness of composition, colour schemes, how to plan a work and an understanding of the importance of the relationship between your gouache painting and collage ground.
- Practice drawing techniques and methods of transferring completed drawings to a collage surface.
- Gain an understanding of the unique properties of gouache and basic gouache painting techniques.
Suitable for 16+ ages, all levels of experience.
Materials: Students will be emailed a detailed material list required for the course within a few days of enrolment. Please check your JUNK and SPAM folders so you do not miss this. If you have not received anything within a week prior to the start, please email us.
About the tutor:
Lesley Wallington is a professional, award-winning artist and tutor with more than 30 years’ teaching experience. Her journey in water based media, through studies at the ANU School of Art has resulted in innovative approaches to her painting and competency across a range of mediums. With a background in Biology, Ecology and Mathematics Lesley brings together in her work, a love of art, science and nature.
As a teacher Lesley combines theory and technical advice with straightforward practical instruction in working with watercolour, gouache, pencil, ink and collage. With in-depth knowledge of her mediums and extensive experience teaching all age groups and levels, Lesley has the ability to inspire and direct a class while encouraging the unique style of individual students.
NatureArt Lab Awards:
- 2022, Telstra Best of Business Award Winner for Promoting Sustainability, ACT
- 2024, Telstra Best of Business Award Winner for Building Communities, ACT
Please contact us if you have any questions at: email@example.com
Image credit: Lesley Wallington