BIRDS OF BORNEO NATURE TOUR, 5 - 17 August 2024 - Bookings now open!
Join our exclusive small group nature tour to Sabah, Malaysian Borneo, with NatureArt Lab in 2024. Experience the wildlife immersion, nature photography, art and nature journaling trip of a lifetime - especially designed for bird lovers!
- Dates: Monday 5 August - Saturday 17 August 2024
- Location: Sabah, Malaysian Borneo
- Team: Julia and Alan Landford, Guest artist - Zoe Lawrence
Internationally renowned for its animal and plant attractions, Sabah is justifiably famous for its amazing birdlife. There are over 600 species with around 59 endemic bird species on Borneo. Sabah is one of Malaysia's wildlife hotspots, encompassing mountain ranges, lowland rainforest, swamps and coastline. There are 10 species of giant hornbill, nine species of pitta (truly the jewels of the rainforest) and the amazing Bristlehead. Target species for our nature tour include the Bornean Bristlehead, Bornean leafbird, Whitehead's Trogon, Barbets, Bulbuls, Whistlers, Kingfishers and many more.Our tour will focus on some of Sabah’s best bird-viewing regions including the World Heritage Site of spectacular Mount Kinabalu, the Kinabatangan River and the Sepilok region. Whilst in Sabah we will also have an opportunity to learn about crucial efforts to conserve orangutans, hear the inspirational story about rescuing sun bears from the edge of extinction, and visit the Rainforest Discovery Centre.
Whether it’s just birds, or also botany, entomology and mammals this tour will provide a spectacular program for photography, art and nature journaling inspired by nature. Nature journalers and artists will enjoy regular journaling workshops and activities throughout the trip. Partners and accompanying friends will enjoy all of the wildlife experiences.
Sabah has excellent infrastructure and accommodation, and is well set up to cater for wildlife tourism. English is widely spoken, the food is excellent and the wildlife superlative. Accommodation will be in comfortable high-end lodges on a double or twin share basis, transport in air-conditioned vehicles between destinations and on safe river craft at certain points.
Tour Price: $9,650.00* (small group size with only 9 places available). Book early to avoid disappointment. A 25% deposit payment of $2,400 is due by the end of March 2024 to secure your place, along with a signed travel declaration form which will be provided on booking. EARLY BIRD DISCOUNT $400.00 applies for bookings received in December 2023.
Limited single supplement places are available on request at $2,100.00. Please contact us at info@natureartlab to confirm availability prior to booking a single supplement place.
The tour includes:
- 13 days of nature immersion experiences
- 12 nights comfortable accommodation
- Entry fees to all locations
- All in-country transport (excluding airfares)
- All meals
- Professional local nature guide for all day walks, evening spotlighting walks and early morning bird walks
- Night safaris
- Photography mentoring and tuition with experienced photographer
- Entomology expertise with Alan Landford
- Nature journaling guidance and workshops with NatureArt Lab Director Julia Landford.
- Guest artist workshops
*Excludes flights to Borneo, and internal flights from Lahad Datu to Kota Kinabalu and return to Australia. Flights can be arranged separately through Jamison Travel, our nominated travel agent. Return airfares are approximately $1,500.00 return depending on airlines and offers.
Insurance is required by all participants.
NatureArt Lab will host an information session for participants prior to departure.
Introducing our team:
- Julia Landford - NatureArt Lab Founder and Director, artist and nature journaler, passionate naturalist and environmentalist, Julia has travelled extensively and has led many nature tours to Borneo, as well as to Costa Rica and South America.
- Alan Landford - Zoologist and entomologist, Alan brings scientific expertise to this nature tour, along with experience with international nature tours to many destinations including Borneo over the past six years.
- Zoe Lawrence - Guest artist with considerable wildlife and bird experience, and an exceptional artist with good teaching skills, Zoe has accompanied several NatureArt Lab tours including our Galapagos Island and Christmas Island tours.
Comprehensive travel insurance is required against injury, illness, emergency medical evacuation, loss and damage to personal belongings, not being able to travel on a confirmed date of departure or tour cancellation due to unforeseen circumstances.
If cancellation takes place up to 120 days before the trip the deposit payment is non-fundable, for cancellations 119 to 60 days before departure 50% of the cost of the tour will be forfeited. If cancellation takes place 59 days or less before the start date 100% of the tour cost will be forfeited.
If NatureArt Lab has to cancel a nature tour due to undersubscription, you will receive a refund of all payments made for that tour.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Images: Black-crowned pitta and Lesser Green Leafbird - Danny McCreadie; Other images: Julia and Alan Landford; Creative Commons