Plein Air Series (Nudgee): GUIDED NATURE SKETCHING: 16 July 2022
Explore local Brisbane bushland and learn how to interpret nature through a variety of expressive sketching and painting techniques on paper.
About the Course:
Venture out into local bushland around the suburbs of Brisbane with artist Sandra Pearce who will guide you through creative sketching challenges including pen and ink, mark making, expressive watercolour techniques, and artist book formats.
This session will focus on the mangrove forest and intertidal zones.
You can book into one session or multiple, as each session will have a particular technique focus that responds to its location, including open eucalypt forest and salt wetlands.
Date: 16 July 2022
Days/Times: Saturday 9.00am-12.00pm
Location: Nudgee Mangrove Boardwalk, Fortitude Street, Nudgee Beach
Sandra will provide guidance throughout each session including alternative approaches and perspectives, individual feedback and advice, as well as tips for improving your sketching techniques. Join a group of like-minded nature enthusiasts for a unique art experience amongst the trees and some ‘me’ time in nature.
- Knowledge and skills in sketching and drawing techniques
- Development of skills in artist book construction
- Experience in working plein air in a bushland environment
Field Trip Notes:
- Each of these sessions are independent of each other. Students can book into one, or do several to experience different landscapes. The sessions are 3 hours long including walking time, but participants can stay on longer for untutored time.
- Meeting points will be at a picnic area with toilets and shelter. We will walk to the sketching site, so participants must be able to walk 2-3 kilometres. We will be walking at a leisurely pace on concrete or gravel paths, but the terrain may be undulating. The workshop will end back at the carpark.
- Participants will need to carry their art materials and something to sit on. We recommend a small backpack with portable sketching kit (more detail about art materials to be provided in the materials list) and a fold-up hiking stool (unless you prefer to sit on the ground to work).
- BYO drinks and snacks, hat, sunscreen, a light rain coat or spray jacket, and insect repellent.
- The workshops will not be held outdoors in wet weather – defined as persistent rain or more than 80% chance of showers in that area. Participants will be given a full refund if the workshop is cancelled due to wet weather. Notification of the cancellation will be given the day before the workshop, based on Bureau of Meteorology predictions. Alternatively, the workshop may be offered at the tutor’s studio.
Level of course/workshop:
Suitable for students from beginners through to intermediate students.
About the Tutor:
Sandra Pearce is a Brisbane-based maker of artist books, printed images and paper installations. Personal experiences in nature are integral to her arts practice, as well as science-based research and creative writing techniques. Her art practice responds to ideas relating to nature-human conflicts, the impacts of urbanisation and the human manipulation of landscape.
Sandra has exhibited widely in both regional and private art galleries, with several solo exhibitions. She has completed several artist-in-residence community programs, including Curtin Springs Cattle Station in Central Australia and Cataract Gorge in Tasmania.
A materials list will be provided prior to the start of the first class.
Refund Policy: Any changes or cancellations made by NatureArt Lab for any reason are 100% refunded or credited (for use on another course). Any cancellations made by the purchaser are refunded (or held in credit) for the total amount LESS a $60 administrative processing fee. Special consideration for waiving the $60 fee for compassionate/ extraordinary circumstances can be granted by NatureArt Lab by writing to email@example.com.
COVID-19 Policy: Students on NatureArt Lab studio courses or workshops are required to comply with all stated COVID-19 requirements specified at the time of booking. This includes use of sanitiser on entry and during the course/workshop and maintaining social distancing. Any additional COVID-19 related restrictions and/or requirements will be conveyed by email prior to the course/workshop. This policy will be reviewed and amended as QLD Government policy is changed and these changes will also be conveyed to students prior to commencement.
Discount Policy: Students may be eligible for Seniors Discount and/or Member Discounts on checkout. If you are unsure about eligibility or how to claim this discount, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Image credit: Sandra Pearce